Show Your Best Moves
Grade Level: 3-5, 6-8
Selection: Green Sally Up
Suggested Activity #1: Singing & Ostinato
1. Listen to "Green Sally Up".
2. Learn melody and text.
Green Sally up, Green Sally down, (4 beat phrase)
3. Sing along with recording.
4. Create a 4-beat body percussion ostinato using combinations of pat, clap, stamp, snap or other sounds.
5. Perform ostinato along with recording.
6. Perform ostinato without recording, singing by students only.
7. Optional alternate lyrics:
Green Sally up, Green Sally down
Source: Bessie Jones and Bess Lomax Hawes: "Step It Down Games, Plays, Songs And Stories From Afro-American Heritage" (University of Georgia Press; 1987) .
Suggested Activity #2:
1. Listen to Green Sally Up.
Moby. (2008). Flower. On Play & Play: B Sides [CD] United States: Little Idiot.
3. Listen to other songs that have hidden messages from the African-American musical tradition i.e., "Uncle Jessie", "Drinking Gourd".
Designed by Karen Howard